Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Beautiful Death

People always said death could be beautiful, but I never really believed them. My belief has always been that death, at any age, under all (okay, most) circumstances is sad, and scary. Today I had my first day working with a Hospice nurse, and my mind has changed... death can be beautiful, and it doesn't have to be sad.

Although the patient was not able to communicate with us, it was obvious that she knew we were there. Once we made sure the patient was comfortable, the nurse spoke to her, telling her that her daughter loves her and that it was okay to let go; then the nurse placed the patient's rosary beads in her hands and we recited the Lord's Prayer. We left the room to take care of some other things and not more than an hour or two later the patient had passed. We went back into her room and she was still in the same peaceful state we had left her in, gently holding her rosary beads. Per the daughter's request the nurse and I changed the patient from her hospital gown to her own nightgown so she would look a bit more like herself when the daughter arrived. Throughout my nursing program we have talked about nursing as "standing on holy ground," and all nursing is in some sense, but never have I felt it so much as I did in that moment.

Thank you Ms. M for allowing me to be a part of and witness your transition to the next step in your journey.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. What a powerful experience. And what a way to start a rotation. You are going to be a great nurse, friend.

    ReplyDelete