Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Clinicals... week 1

Last week was my first week in the hospital as a 'student nurse'! Every week we are at Kaiser on Thursdays and Fridays. Each day we are there from 6:30am-12:30pm (then we do a post clinical from 1-3), which means I have to wake up WAY too early! I have been setting my alarm for 4:30am so I can get out of bed by 5... ugh! My first day I was on the med-surg floor, I was assigned my own patient, but was paired up with a classmate so we could help each other with our patients. It was very intimidating being thrown in, but I have a great clinical instructor who is helping us out a lot. Basically my first day consisted of bed baths and changing sheets... nothing too exciting. Day 2 however, was much more interesting. This was because I got to go down to Interventional Radiology and shadow a nurse down there. Basically I asked a lot of questions about procedures and meds while watching 2 angiograms. It was really interesting to see how the doctors use the wires and catheters to move through the arteries to see where there are blocks. They used the contrast to take pictures of the arteries as the blood moved through to assess what exactly was happening and what the next step would be. Sometimes if they can fix the problem right there they will, but in the two cases I witnessed the patients will have to come back for follow up care.

Stay tuned for this weeks update... Hopefully there will be time to write one! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment