Ok, maybe that wasn't so much fun, but it is pretty cool to see the various things you can learn about the way your body is functioning by something that up till now seemed so simple. As one girl in my class put is, "I just pee, I don't need to know how it happens." Using test strips like these...
you can test kidney function by looking at pH levels, concentrations of certain ions in urine and glucose in the urine (a major flag for diabetes).
Last week we took samples of our own blood (with a simple pin prick, and yes mom it was a new needle) and got to test blood types. I am finding that many of the other students are a bit squeamish about things like needles or urine (even their own), and I am not sure how they are going to handle being around other people's bodily fluids. I on the other hand think it's fascinating and can't wait to start seeing these things in real patients!
No comments:
Post a Comment