Rylan Marie Hoapiliahoaka Buckler
February 24, 2012 @ 9:18 am
7 lbs 8 oz & 21 3/4 inches
1:45 am Thursday February 23, 2012 I woke with mild
contractions occurring every 7-9 minutes, quietly I thought to myself, “I could
be in early labor!” I tried to crawl back in to bed to rest and hopefully
sleep, but the excitement of possibly meeting my baby took over. So instead I
got up had a snack, drank some water and sat down with Birthing From Within for
awhile. Around 5:00 am the contractions had slowed and I decided it was time to
head back to bed. The next morning the contractions had all but stopped, I
realized this would not be the day I would meet my baby. That morning I had my
39 week appointment at Best Start. Everything looked normal and the baby’s
heart tones sounded good. Since I was still 3 days before my due date, my
contractions had stopped and I had yet to lose my mucus plug, there was no
pelvic exam done and I went about the rest of my day, slightly disappointed,
but patiently awaiting the day our baby decided it was time to meet the world.
Around
2:50 am Friday February 24, 2012 I was again woken up by contractions. This
time the contractions were a bit stronger and they were coming every 3-5
minutes lasting 40-70 seconds. I patiently timed contractions for approximately
30 minutes before deciding this was the real deal and it was time to wake up
Jade. I woke up my parents who were visiting, hoping to be here for the arrival
of their grandchild, and we all began laboring at home. Early on I was able to
rest and even fall asleep between contractions, but it didn’t take long for
that to change. Around 4:30 am the contractions began to intensify and they
were coming in waves of 3. I would have about 3 contractions 2 or so minutes
apart, then the next one wouldn’t be for about 5 minutes. I was having more
difficulty coping with the contractions and my body was beginning to shake. I
told Jade I thought it was time to call the midwife. Jade knew my plan was to
labor at home for as long as possible, so he convinced me to wait until at
least 5 am to call, reluctantly I agreed. By about 5 or 5:30 (I’m not really
sure, as I was becoming less aware of times at this point) I began to vomit;
now Jade agreed we could call the midwife.
Since
it had only been a few hours since my labor had begun the midwife advised us to
continue to labor at home, since as we all know, first babies can take awhile.
Sometime around 6 or 6:30 I decided it was time to get in the shower, the
contractions getting stronger and I was having more difficulty coping with each
one. It was in the shower that I first started noticing that there was a bit of
an urge to push, but I knew I couldn’t be anywhere close to complete. So, once
again, around 7 am we spoke with the midwife. At this time she informed us that
Brita, the oncoming midwife would meet us at Best Start at 8 am. Jade told me
that it was time to go, but by this point I couldn’t get up off the floor. The
thought of putting on clothes and getting in the car was terrifying. But the
urge to push kept getting stronger and I knew we couldn’t stay home. So off we
went, in the morning fog and rush hour traffic, heading to Best Start doing my
best to breathe through my contractions instead of pushing with them… after all
I didn’t think anyone wanted to deliver my baby on the side of the road. When
we got to Best Start Jade and my dad had to drag me in the front door… I was no
longer capable of walking under my own power, until I saw Brita standing at the
top of the stairs waiting for me. It felt like I ran up those stairs to have
her do my first pelvic exam, praying that I was complete… the urge to push was
irresistible! Thankfully my prayers had been answered and Brita informed us
that I was 10 cm, 100% effaced and +1 station. I got in the tub as fast as they
could fill it and began to push. After about 15 minutes of pushing in the tub I
decided I couldn’t get enough leverage while staying in the water, so I asked
to get back out. I walked back to the bed at which time my water finally broke.
I got into a left side-lying position for the remainder of the pushing and at
9:18 am with a loose cord around her neck and a very purple face, baby Rylan
was born!
No comments:
Post a Comment